Hair is a touchy subject. It’s something we want a lot of control over, but we ultimately have to give up that control and trust a stylist to give us what we want – I don’t know about you, but I always get a little anxious when I have to cut or color my hair. We’ve all had our fair share of bad haircuts. We go in expecting one thing and we come out looking like a hot mess. But this post isn’t about haircuts, it’s about coloring your hair. Like most people who have colored their hair, there are both positive and not so positive experiences. In this post I go through my hair journey and how I eventually took the plunge and dyed my (almost) black hair to a silvery grey. Continue Reading
Summer’s over? That’s annoying; it’s definitely time to stow away the shorts and bring out the chunky sweaters. Before we bundle up for fall, let’s reminisce over what happened in August – a weekend trip to Vancouver, Outsidelands, and a road trip to Reno. Let’s see what came out on top and what should really be left in the dust.
1. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circle Treatment Concealer in Brightener – This is one of the best pink/salmon concealers I have ever tried that really brightens and neutralizes my dark circles. I apply this in a triangle shape that starts near my tear duct and the point of the triangle meets the top of my cheekbone and continues along my cheekbone. (Visual here) The sponge applicator really helps this concealer apply smoothly and I just blend it out with my Beautyblender and it doesn’t look cake-y or settle into my pores.
2. MAC Selectcover in NC25 – This is an oldie but a goldie. This was the first concealer I had ever bought and over the years I forgot how good it was. I repurchased it a couple months ago and I have been loving it. It works great for under the eyes as well as on small blemishes. I use this in conjunction with the Maybelline Brightener. I like to fill in the triangle I create with the brightener with this yellowish concealer. The doe foot applicator really helps target the darkest areas of the eye and because it’s more of a liquid consistency, it’s really easy to blend out. The MAC and Maybelline concealers combined neutralize and cover my dark circles completely, but the finish is still very natural.
3. bareMinerals 5-In-1 BB Cream Shadow in Divine Wine – This cream shadow is perfect as an everyday crease color. It’s really easy to apply and blend out and I don’t even use a brush; I just dab this product onto my finger and blend away. It’s really subtle and natural and there is no need to put a shadow over it. It also stays all day and doesn’t crease.
4. theBalm Instain Blush in Swiss Dot – If you have trouble making your blush stay, you NEED to try this product. This blush comes in a powder form, but after a couple minutes, it will actually stain your cheeks so even if the powder rubs off throughout the day, your cheeks will still have a subtle tint to them. For me, this blush lasts all day and when I get home from work, I can still see some color on my cheeks. This blush is super creamy and pigmented and a little will go a long way. Swiss Dot is a peachy-apricot shade and it is completely matte. Although it’s matte, it still adds a glow to your face – it doesn’t accentuate your pores or dry patches. It makes a great summer to fall transition blush color.
5. Paper Towns by John Green – After reading and watching The Fault In Our Stars, I got kind of hooked on everything John Green. His Youtube channel, and of course, reading his other book, Paper Towns. This book was so good that I literally could not put it down once I started reading it. I was on a 6-hour bus ride to Reno at the end of August and I finished this book before I even arrived in Reno. I normally fall asleep during long car or bus rides, so the fact that this book kept me up is saying something. I don’t want to give too much away, but it is a “coming of age” story and I would describe it as a mystery/adventure novel. On a completely side note, I recently found out that John Green came to my high school to give a talk AFTER I had graduated. Needless to say, I was super bummed, but I also didn’t know about John Green until last year, so I probably would have skipped the talk. If only I had read more in high school…
6. Stuart Weitzman Sunbelt Bootie – The thought process of purchasing these booties was long, frustrating, and exhausting. I originally saw these booties at the Stuart Weitzman store with my friend Nadia and we both fell in love with them. They were quite pricey, so I didn’t really think about buying them because I wouldn’t get a lot of use out of them. About a month ago, I saw that they had gone on sale for 50% off and after weeks of pondering I asked Nadia if I should buy them. She told me that she bought them at the original price and didn’t regret it one bit, so at that point, I was convinced. I quickly purchased them and it was final sale, so there was no going back. Even at 50% off, they are quite pricey, but they are so comfortable and versatile that I don’t regret buying them. They are very sturdy and they make my legs look slimmer and longer. I plan on wearing them for the rest of summer and into fall and then bring them back for spring. They are still on sale, so if you were thinking of investing in some good quality booties, I would definitely check them out.
7. Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo – Ever since I dyed my hair, I’ve been trying to wash it every other day instead of every day. Unfortunately, I have thick hair and a lot of it, so my hair can get pretty greasy, pretty quickly. I also like to workout every day, so in order to keep my hair looking fresh for two days, I have to use a lot of dry shampoo. Since I was using a lot more product in my hair, I needed a clarifying shampoo to use once a week just to get rid of any build-up or residue that had accumulated over the week. I’ve heard great things about this Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo and it got really good reviews on all the beauty websites, so I decided to give it a try. First off, this shampoo does not lather, so I find that I have to use a lot in order to wash just my roots. Then rinsing it out, my hair just felt really dry and limp. After air drying my hair, I noticed that my hair looked very greasy, but my scalp would be really dry. My scalp was producing more oil than it needed to in order to counterbalance the dryness created by this shampoo. I tried this product for three weeks and decided to toss it because my hair was looking like a grease ball and I was getting a little bit of dandruff. Not a good look.
8. Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Shampoo – I recently tried this because I ran out of my Living Proof Full Shampoo and I wanted to try something new. I really like the Living Proof Full Shampoo because it doesn’t contain any sodium chloride. Sodium chloride will dry out your hair and will make color fade faster, so my hair stylist told me to find a shampoo that didn’t contain this ingredient. The lady working at Sephora told me she loved the new Bumble and Bumble Invisible Oil Shampoo because although it did contain sodium chloride, it was really gentle and didn’t dry out her hair. I decided to give it a shot, but after a few uses, I noticed that my hair was a lot drier and it would be a lot frizzier after I air dried it. Overall, I was not impressed with this shampoo. I honestly think that there are drugstore shampoos that are better than this Bumble and Bumble shampoo. Thank god for Sephora’s great return policy because I returned this shampoo and exchanged it for the Living Proof Full Shampoo.
It seems like I tried a lot of shampoo this month, but for me, I really like to switch my shampoos up every now and again.
What did you guys love in August? Let me know!
If you lurve saving money, keep reading!
Whenever there is a national holiday, you can pretty much guarantee that sales will always follow and Fourth of July was no different. Although it didn’t bring the best of sales, there were definitely a few good deals that came out of it.
Starting off with clothes:
(Click on pictures to go to websites)
If you are a fan of having outfits already picked styled for you, then you probably already know about Dailylook. Dailylook is a website that posts new outfits everyday and then sells each piece of the outfit at a discounted price for one day. You can buy the complete outfit or just parts of it. Dailylook is offering up to 40% off your entire purchase. This sale expires July 11th.
If you’re looking into buying some basics, Gap is having 25% off your entire purchase! This sale ends today; but if you miss it, tomorrow they they have 20% off your entire purchase.
One of my favorite stores, J. Crew is having 30% off all sale items with the code MUSTHAVE. If you are a student, there is an added bonus. If you go to their store and show them your student ID, you will get an additional 15% off your entire purchase. (The student discount is year around)
Another one of my favorite stores, Anthropologie is having 25% off their sale items. Anthropologie has a great sales rack. When clothes go on sale at Anthropologie, boy do they go on sale. You can find shirts and sweaters that were originally $90 for $20 and with an extra 25% off, you’ve got a great deal!
Moving on to shoes:
Aldo has to be one of my favorite shoe stores because they carry classic and trendy shoes, all at a reasonable price and now they are giving an extra 30% off their handbag and summer sandals section. The fun doesn’t stop there. Shipping is free for all orders!
If you’re looking for beauty and skincare products:
Head over to Ariva. They are having their lightning sale where you can find some Deborah Lippmann nail polish for only $9-10 (They retail for $18). Check out their website for more deals. There is also free shipping on every order!
Ulta is having a huge sale on their 1 liter bottle shampoos. They have reduced high end brands such as Redken, Bedhead, Big Sexy Hair, and Matrix products to just $12.99-14.99. As an added bonus, they also give you a free pump for every liter bottle you purchase. For all the brands on sale and more discounts, go to the Ulta website.
If you are looking for a stylish watch to spruce up your outfit, check out La Mer. They have really classic and trendy wrap watches. If you use the code JULY4LAMER, you get 25% off your purchase. This offer ends July 11th.
Happy shopping everyone!