I don’t know what initially attracted me to Ojai, but I really wanted to spend a weekend there. For my trip to LA in July, my boyfriend suggested we make the trip to Ojai, so we booked an Airbnb and took a little staycation in Ojai! If you want to read about our adventures, keep reading!
First off, Ojai is absolutely beautiful. It’s a really small town, but there was just the right amount of activities to do and it ended up being a very relaxing weekend.
Our Airbnb ended up being a few blocks away from the main street where all the restaurants, shops, and bars were, so we actually just walked everywhere. It was extremely convenient and it was really nice to just walk around and explore the small city.
Although Ojai is small, you will never be bored. It has a bunch of trails you can bike on and some really great restaurants. I listed some of our highlights below. Enjoy!
Things to Do/Visit
- Bike Trails – If you like nature, definitely go on a bike ride around the orange groves. When we went, it was definitely a little bit hot, but we did manage to come across a house that was selling fresh oranges and let me tell you, they were delicious. If you want to rent bikes, go to The MOB Shop. The guys there are super friendly and helpful when picking out which trails to ride.
- Bart’s Books – this is an outdoor used bookstore and it’s huge. It’s a great place to visit and just wander around for a bit.
- Bamboo Creek Spa – You can’t have a relaxing weekend in Ojai without a spa day. If you don’t want to splurge on a massage at the Ojai Resort, check out Bamboo Creek Spa. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and most importantly, the massages are great and very relaxing.
- Farmer’s Market – If you are there on a Sunday, definitely check out the farmer’s market. You can just walk around and get free samples, but since we went in the summer, we snagged some duh-licious peaches and nectarines. We also grabbed some really good cheese and meat for lunch and a Mexican Chocolate popsicle for dessert. A perfect way to end a great weekend in Ojai
Places to eat
- Osteria Monte Grappa – This was the first place we went to for dinner and it serves delicious traditional Italian food. They have an outdoor seating area, so if it’s warm, definitely opt for the patio.
- The Ojai Beverage Company – When you first walk in, you will find that it’s a liquor store in the front and that the bar/restaurant is in the back. They do serve food, but since we came after a very heavy Italian dinner, we each just ordered a flight of beer. They have a huge selection of beer, so there’s something for everyone.
- Knead Baking Company – This is the best breakfast place and if you are ever in Ojai, you have to come here. They have really good pastries and their breakfast sandwiches are amazing. Their standout item, however, is their brioche special. It is so fluffy and it basically melts in your mouth. I still dream about that brioche.
- Ojai Tortilla Company – I have pretty high standards for Mexican food, and I give this place two thumbs up! They make everything themselves and their ingredients are super fresh. My favorite part of their burritos is their tortilla. If you couldn’t tell by the name of the restaurant, they take their tortillas pretty seriously. They make them fresh everyday, and boy are they tasty! I recommend coming here early because once they sell out of an item, it’s out until the next day. It is also a to-go only restaurant, but there’s a park across the street so you can take it there and eat it.
- Suzanne’s Cafe – This was our fancy date night restaurant and it did not disappoint. When we were planning this trip and looking for places to eat, Suzanne’s popped up on every search, so we knew we had to try it out. The menu is a little confusing because it ranges for New American to Asian Fusion to French Inspired dishes – there’s not a good way to classify what type of food they serve. Everything that we ordered was delicious, so you will definitely find something you like here.
Have any of you been to Ojai? What are some of your favorite places, let me know!