If you don’t know by now, I love trying new products; especially from brands I already love. Some of them are hits and some of them are misses. Keep reading to see if this GlamGlow Flashmud Brightening Treatment is worth the money.
Before I jump into the review, I have to starting by saying that I’m a huge fan of the GlamGlow Supermud Clearing Treatment. I’m a bit “meh” about the rest of their masks (I have yet to try their newest Firming Treatment one), but whenever I have a breakout that I need to clear up quickly, the Clearing Treatment mask is my go-to.
Now onto the review:
Right when you twist off the cap, you are hit with this AMAZING fruity and sweet scent. While I really like the scent of this mask, if you have sensitive skin or have an aversion to strong scents, you might not like this. Also note that the scent does not go away and will linger while the mask is on your face.
As with all GlamGlow masks, there were a lot of big claims. They list a bunch of trademarked ingredients that will ultimately give you a brighter and more luminous complexion. Sounds good, right? Well, let’s see if it lives up to its hype.
The instructions state that for your first time using the mask, to get the optimum results, you should use the mask for 3 days in a row and then you can use it 2-3 times weekly. They also state that you must use a high level SPF after using the product.
After reading the instructions, I had my doubts because it seemed a bit high maintenance. I normally slather sunscreen on my face everyday, but I have never had a product tell me that I had to use SPF after using it. I was also very dubious about using a mud mask for 3 days in a row. I didn’t know how my skin would react and my biggest fear was that it was going to be too harsh and drying on my skin. At this point, I had extremely high expectations for this mask – I better have some baby soft and glowing skin after these three days!
- I purposefully picked a time when I had a few breakouts and when my skin looked like it could use a pick-me up.
- I had a few breakouts on my cheeks and a huge cystic acne on the top of my forehead (I picked at it, popped it, and now it was in the process of healing).
- My pimple was still raised and it was hard to cover with concealer because it was texturized and concealer did not look good on top of it.
- My skin was also very uneven and dull.
Unlike the other GlamGlow masks, this mask is a bit thiner and liquid-y in texture. I left the mask on for 25-30 minutes for all three days and you can tell when the mask is done because it becomes translucent.
- My huge pimple was pretty dried out after Day 1 and it wasn’t as elevated as before – I found that the redness went down, but the pimple was not completely healed.
- My complexion was still uneven, but my skin did look a bit brighter.
- My skin didn’t feel dry at all and it actually felt a lot smoother and plumper than before.
After the first day, I was pretty impressed with the mask. It didn’t “fix” my pimple, but it did help tone down the redness and my complexion did look more luminous. After I use any mask, I always use a heavier night cream to bring moisture back into my skin.
- My pimple was much easier to cover after the Day 1 application. It was still texturized, but it was flat and not as noticeable as before.
- The small breakouts on my cheek were getting better and my overall complexion was more luminous and plump.
- My pimple was definitely less inflamed and pretty flat and smooth at this point.
- I felt like I had a brighter complexion and I could feel a difference in the texture of my skin.
After the second day, my skin was feeling and looking pretty good. My skin didn’t feel dry or irritated, but I still applied my night cream as usual.
- Although you can still see where I had my cystic acne, it was significantly less inflamed after Day 2 and way better compared to Day 1. I deal with hyperpigmentation, so it will take a few months for that pimple to fully heal, but it was flat and not texturized, so it’s really easy to cover with some concealer.
- My skin felt so smooth after Day 2 and it was actually really soft and plump.
- My make-up applied a lot smoother after Day 2 as well and all my makeup sat better on top of my skin.
- My pimple looks about the same as after Day 2. At this point, it just needs time to heal and masks will help with the healing process, but doing a mask everyday won’t do much.
- My skin is starting to get a little irritated by all the exfoliation that has occurred in the past three days, so I’m starting to see some red bumps on my cheek
Overall, I like this GlamGlow mask, but I think using it three days in a row is overkill. I didn’t see any drastic changes from the end of Day 2 to the end of Day 3 and I think I might have over-exfoliated my skin by the end of Day 3. I will say that it helped dramatically with my breakouts and cystic acne. It helped with the texture and dullness of my skin and it make applying make-up a lot easier. My make-up was applying a lot smoother and it just looked a lot better on my skin.
This mask will definitely give your complexion an “oomph” for a special event, but it definitely does not replace my GlamGlow Clearing Treatment. This treatment really plumps your skin and gives you a healthy glow. I used this mask right before a wedding last weekend and my skin looked radiant after using this mask.
Is it worth the $69? I think if you want to splurge on a face mask, definitely pick this one up because although it’s not a miracle mask, you will be able to see a difference in your complexion after a couple of uses. Overall, I really enjoyed this mask and will continue to use it!
Have you tried this mask by GlamGlow? Let me know your thoughts!