Last month’s IPSY box was a huge flop and Birchbox has been on the up and up in terms of quality, variety, and size of their samples. Let’s see if IPSY can redeem itself this month and if Birchbox can continue their winning streak.
Since IPSY was abysmal last month, let’s see what they have in store for us this month.
First off, the bag itself is adorable! It’s a pink faux leather bag with scalloped edges and it’s very unique compared to the other bags I have received. Moving on to the products.
1. bareMinerals 5 in 1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Shadow in Divine Wine – Now that was a mouthful. Since BB creams are all the rage these days, why not make a BB cream eyeshadow? These shadows are incredibly smooth and matte and they do last a long time. I received the shade Divine Wine, which is a cool, brown-taupe color. It’s a little darker than my skin tone, so I put it in my crease to define my eyes. This cream shadow comes in a tube with a curved doe foot applicator. Since this cream shadow is very pigmented, I recommend just dapping it on your eyes with your finger rather than swiping it on with the applicator. This cream shadow doubles as a primer, so if you want a more intense look, you can definitely use this as a base. I’m really enjoying this cream shadow and am playing with the idea of trying more. (Sample Size: $6 , Full Size: $18)
2. Befine Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 – I have tried a Befine body moisturizer and really liked it, so I had high hopes for this moisturizer. This moisturizer really impressed me because it was extremely lightweight and absorbed into my skin very quickly. It didn’t mattify my skin, but left it with a very natural, glowy finish. I think this would make a great morning and night moisturizer for the summertime. (Sample Size: $21, Full Size: $24)
3. Tints & Sass by Elizabeth Mott in Cherry – This was the product I was most excited to try because I love lip and cheek tints. This tint is no joke. First of all, it smells like cherries and it’s amazing. Next, this really does stain your lips. I swatched it on my arm and it stained my arm for a good 8 hours. This lip and cheek tint has more of gel consistency as opposed to being a liquid. It comes with a doe foot applicator, so it’s really easy to apply on your lips. At first, your lips will have a little bit of a shine to them, but over time, the shine will wear off, but the stain will last for hours. I personally don’t like to put this on my cheeks because of the gel consistency. It feels a little heavy on my cheeks, but I love this tint for my lips. (Full Size: $22.99)
4. Hang Ten Dark Tanning Oil SPF 8 – This was the product was least excited about because I’m already fairly tan and don’t have the need for a tanning oil. I also don’t understand the concept of tanning oils. I think it’s supposed to make you tan faster, but protect your skin at the same time. This product smelled really chemical-y, so I probably won’t be using it. (Sample Size: $3, Full Size: $11.99)
5. Big Look Waterproof Mascara by Pur Minerals – I actually really enjoyed this mascara. I’m so happy that I received a waterproof mascara because I cannot use non-waterproof mascara. My lashes are so straight that non-waterproof mascara just weighs them down and never holds my curls. This mascara is infused with argan oil, which is supposed to nourish your lashes. It has a rubber wand which tapers towards the end, so it makes it easy to get the inner lashes. The rubber bristles helps separate and lengthen. I wouldn’t say that this is the most volumizing mascara I’ve tried, but it’s definitely a good one for separation and lengthening. (Sample Size: $14, Full Size: $20)
Left to Right: bareMinerals BB cream eyeshadow in Divine Wing, Tints & Sass in Cherry
Total Value: $66.99
Overall, I’m very pleased this month’s IPSY bag. I have used 4 out of the 5 products I received and I liked all of them. IPSY definitely redeemed themselves this month.
Let’s see if Birchbox can outdo IPSY this month. This month Birchbox teamed up with Women’s Health and sometimes these collaboration boxes are great, and sometimes, they aren’t so hot. Let’s see what I got!
1. Caudalie Divine Oil – I really love body oils after I shower because it is extremely moisturizing and absorbs quickly into the skin. This body oil was really luxurious and made my skin really soft. I also like to use this on my cuticles and hands at night and in the morning, my hands are noticeably softer. Love the product, but wished the sample size was bigger. (Sample Size: $1.47, $49)
2. Number 4 Super Comb Prep and Protect – I like to use this as a heat protectant and it works pretty well at keeping my hair from getting frizzy. It also does not leave my hair greasy or heavy. The only complaint I have is that it smells a little odd. It smells like artificial fruit punch. (Sample Size: $4.80, Full Size: $32)
3. Vasanti Detox Nutrient-Rich Purifying Facial Cleanser – This cream cleanser is extremely gentle yet purifying. It doesn’t remove all of my makeup, so I have to use makeup remove prior to using it. It has a light perfume scent. I liked trying out this cleanser, but I don’t like it over my current gel cleanser. (Sample Size: $3.20, Full Size: $24)
4. St. Tropez Gradual Tan For Face – Like I said before with the tanning oil from IPSY, I’m already pretty tan, so I don’t need to self tan. I have never put self tanner on my face before, so I’m a little dubious about putting this on since I don’t know how my skin will react to it. It also has a really strong chemical scent, so I will pass on this product. (Sample Size: $11, Full Size: $35)
5. Beauty Eyeliner in Black by Cynthia Rowley – This is my favorite item out of this whole box. The eyeliner itself is so creamy and smooth that it just glides onto your lash line. It’s also pretty smudge-proof, so once it sets, it’ll stay put. It’s also a great eyeliner to smudge out to get a more smokey effect. I’m very pleased with this eyeliner. (Sample Size: $12, Full Size: $16)
Total Value: $32.47
My feelings towards this month’s Birchbox is kind of all over the place. Although I liked 4 of the 5 products, I was not super amazed with any. Also, they are definitely repeating brands because I have received something by the Number 4 brand three months in a row now and I received a Vasanti exfoliator last month. To me, the whole point of subscribing to these beauty services is to try out new brands, so it’s a little upsetting when they repeat brands so often.
I think this month’s winner is pretty clear:
IPSY just had better products and although, they do repeat some brands, I will get more use out of their samples than from Birchbox’s samples.
* = affiliate links