I know it’s already the end of July, but I wanted to address something in my June IPSY bag that I could not ignore. With that said, let’s get started!
First up, Birchbox*.
1. Gilchrist & Soames London Collection Body Lotion – The best way for me to describe this lotion is that it smells (and kind of looks) like the lotions you get when you stay at a hotel. The scent is fresh with a hint of something spicy and it is not very moisturizing. It’s simply MEH. (Sample Size: $3, Full Size: $16)
2. Number 4 Hydrating Shampoo – This shampoo leaves my hair feeling clean, but not stripped of moisture. I like to use this shampoo once a week as a cleansing shampoo. The shampoo has a very musky and spicy scent. I think you will either love the scent or hate it – I personally love it. (Sample Size: $4, Full Size: $34)
3. Number 4 Hydrating Conditioner – This conditioner is not the most hydrating conditioner I’ve used, but it is very light and doesn’t way weigh my hair down. I only got two uses out of the foil packet, so I’m definitely not in love with this conditioner. (Sample Size, $1.06, Full Size: $36)
4. Vasanti BrightenUp! Enxyme Face Rejuvenator – I am enjoying this exfoliator quite a bit. I see a difference in terms of brightness and smoothness in my skin and it doesn’t hurt that it smells like a spa. The packaging says to use it 3-5 times a week, but I only use it once or twice since my skin can be quite sensitive to exfoliators. (Sample Size: $5.67, Full Size: $34)
5. Coola Tinted Matte SPF 30 for Face – I unfortunately cannot give a great review on this product as there was almost no product in the sample. From testing it on a small part of my face, it does give you a little coverage and leaves you matte. Not impressed that there was almost no product in the package. (Sample Size: $4.87, Full Size: $36)
6. Folle de Joie eau de parfum – Perfume samples seemed to have miraculously disappeared from Birchbox for the last few months, but that all ended in June. I’m actually quite pleased with this perfume. It smells extremely fresh and citrus-y and it lasts all day. (Sample Size: $1.73, Full Size: $98)
Total Value: $20.33
Overall, I think Birchbox did a pretty good job this month. I liked most of the products and overall, the size of each sample was good.
Moving on to IPSY*.
1. BB Cushion by Laneige – I have never seen Laneige products sold in the U.S., but now they are being sold exclusively at Target. At first, I was very confused by the concept of this particular BB cream because instead of the traditional tube or bottle of product, it’s a compact with a sponge soaked in the cream and you apply the product with a special antibacterial puff. The puff does help the cream blend into the skin and you can easily build up the coverage without it looking cake-y. I think this product is perfect for summer because it has SPF 50 and it provides light to medium coverage. I do have concerns about this product drying out very quickly because it is soaked into a sponge and the sponge may dry out. (Sample Size: $7.14, Full Size: $34)
2. Marc Anthony Dream Waves Beach Spray – This beach spray has a strong coconut scent, which is my least favorite scent. It does however, make my hair a little bit wavy. Beach sprays tend to not work on my hair because my hair is naturally pretty straight and voluminous, so beach sprays tend to just make my hair look frizzy. This spray did add a slight wave to my hair, but by the end of the day, it still left my hair a bit frizzy. (Sample Size: $3.18, Full Size: $8.79)
3. NYX butter gloss in Apple Strudel – These lip glosses have been raved about for months on end, so I was excited to try this product. The color is a peachy-pink color and it was a lot more pigmented than I expected. It was a little bit thick and did not apply very evenly on my lips. The color itself is very pretty, but it did not go well with my skin tone. I was not impressed with this lip gloss and probably will not purchase more of these. (Full Size: $5)
4. Nicka K New York Shimmer Eyeliner in Blue (not pictured) – I tried this once and I can literally not find it anywhere. It’s probably for the best because I did not like it at all. First it was a glittery/shimmery (duh, it’s in the name) sky blue color. It had a felt tip applicator, but it was not easy to apply and the final look was not a good one. Getting it off was a whole other story. This eyeliner takes waterproof to the next level because it took me forever to take this eyeliner off and I ended up with glitter everywhere and red, puffy eyes. (Full Size: $4.99)
5. Be a Bombshell Lash Out Mascara – We are down to the last product and so far, I am not impressed with June’s IPSY bag. Maybe this full tube of mascara will redeem this month’s bag. I could not have been more WRONG! Before the wand could even make contact with my lashes, the smell of this mascara took over. It smelled like old food mixed in with chemicals – basically, it was awful. After smelling it, I was too scared to put it anywhere near my eyes, so I tossed it in the trash. Also, I found that this mascara costs $15! Please don’t buy this mascara!
June’s IPSY bag was a complete BUST! There was nothing I really liked or even that excited to try. The only redeeming part was the bag itself beacuse it was cute and designed by Rebecca Minkoff.
This month’s winner is easy:
* = affiliate links