I took a little trip to LA for President’s Weekend and when I got home, my IPSY and Birchbox subscriptions were both waiting for me. I was expecting both subscriptions to be themed around love and Valentine’s Day, but only IPSY was more geared towards the love end while Birchbox decided to do an awards show theme.
Let’s jump in with IPSY*! The theme for this month was The Look of Love.
1. Pacifica Hawaiian Ruby Guava Body Butter – I received a sample of Pacifica’s body butter in a previous IPSY bag, so I wasn’t too excited to “try” this product. Although I always have use for lotions, I wish they would have sent me something that I’ve never tried before. I think the whole point of these subscriptions services is to try and discover new brands. Now that I’ve got that little statement out of the way, this body butter is very thick and moisturizing. I like to use it right after I get out of the shower. The scent is a bit strong and sweet so if you’re planning to wear a perfume, this body butter might mess with that scent. (Sample size: $7.00, Full size: $15)
2. J. Cat Eyelashes + Eyelash Glue – This was the product I was least excited about because first off, I don’t wear false eyelashes; I can’t bother with them. I have experimented with false eyelashes and I prefer either half-lashes or individual lashes for a more natural look. These eyelashes actually kind of scare me because they are so long! I was looking at their website and they have different lengths for their eyelashes and I got the longest ones. These lashes also feel really cheap and flimsy. I would probably only wear these for a costume. Look out Halloween 2014! (Full size: #3.99)
3. Eyetini Coridal Cream Shadow + Base in One in Spiced Rum – This was a very pretty shimmery metallic deep bronze/copper cream shadow. It reminded me of Maybelline’s Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze, but it had a more metallic and foiled finish. I like that it had a doe foot applicator and it was really easy to swipe onto the eyes and then blend out with my finger. I don’t think I could wear this cream shadow on its own because it did take a while for it to set (~2-3 min) so I wore it with Urban Decay’s Primer Potion Underneath and then I set it with UD’s Baked eyeshadow. This cream shadow did make the eyeshadow more vibrant and it did last throughout the day. I think this would be a really good base for a bronze-y smokey eye. (Full size: $18)
4. Pop Beauty Plump Pout in Fuschia Freesia – I’ve tried a lot of Pop Beauty lip products through IPSY and they don’t disappoint. I typically don’t wear lipgloss because I don’t like a super shiny lip, but these lip glosses kind of stain your lips even after the shine had wore off. This gloss was not sticky at all and it applied evenly on the lips. The color is a bright pink with some lilac undertones, so I think it would be a good product to use in spring or summer. I liked this product, but I don’t see myself using it every day. (Sample size: $7.53, Full size: $16)
5. Zoya Nail Polish in Odette – I love receiving nail polishes – especially full size nail polishes, so go IPSY on this one! Odette is a neutral mauve shade that I think is very versatile because it can be in any season. I absolutely love Zoya nail polishes because they apply so smoothly and opaque that I can normally get away with just one coat. (Full size: $9)
Total Value: $45.52
Overall, I am very pleased with my IPSY bag, but I am a little disappointed that there were no new brands to try out this month. I’ve tried the body butter before and I’ve received a number of lip items from Pop Beauty in previous bags. I received something from J.Cat a few months ago, so it wasn’t a new brand. I have tried other things from the brand that makes Eyetini, so it was nice to explore what other beauty items that brand has to offer. I have noticed that IPSY does repeat brands quite often, and I’m okay with it as long as they don’t send me the same thing twice.
Let’s see what Birchbox* has to offer!
1. Whish Body Butter in Pomegranate – I really like the light fruity scent of this body butter. This is unlike most body butters I’ve tried because it’s not super thick, but it’s just as moisturizing. It absorbs quickly into the skin, so you don’t get that greasy feeling. Compared to IPSY’s Pacifica Body Butter, I prefer this one because the scent isn’t overpowering and it produces the same results. (Sample size: $2.40, Full size: $24)
2. 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara – This mascara is all natural and organic and the color is produced by fruits and vegetables. It is supposed to thicken, volumize, and lengthen. These are some hefty claims 100% Pure Fruit. The slight fruity scent of the mascara did throw me off a little bit, but it ended up giving a very natural look to my lashes. It didn’t clump, and it gave me a little length and volume. I can’t say I saw a dramatic difference in my lashes, but they did have more volume and length. If you’re looking for more natural and organic products, I would definitely try this mascara. (Sample size: $7.50, Full size: $18)
3. Joan Vass L’eau de Cristal Perfume – Normally I absolutely hate it when I get perfume samples, but I loved the scent of this perfume. It has a real musky and spicy scent that draws me in. I can’t really explain it. I love this perfume and I definitely will be picking up a full size when I am done with this sample. Also, this sample is light, but the scent lingers and you catch whiffs of it when you’re walking around. (Sample size: $3, Full size: $75)
4. Sarahpotempa The Half up – This seemed like an interesting product to me because I have so much hair that I normally aways wear it up. This is supposed to secure a half-up bun without using bobby pins, which sounds great in theory because I lose those buggers like crazy. I like that this is for a half-up hairstyle, but I have so much hair that my half ponytail could not fit into the slit. I also have lots of layers in my hair, so there’s always a little piece of hair that won’t compromise. If you have thin hair, this might be a good product to try, but it didn’t really work for me. (Full size: $9)
5. Harney & Sons Wrapped Tea Sachets – I love me some tea and I always like trying new teas. I received a classic english breakfast tea and then a white vanilla grapefruit flavor. I drink English Breakfast everyday, so I was excited to receive that. The fruity tea was not my favorite – it just had too many flavors going on. I guess these are on the higher end of tea brands and I like that they come with mesh sachets rather than the typical like cloth/paper ones. I wish I had received more than just two tea bags, but what are you going to do? (Sample size: $0.96, Full size: $9.60)
Total Value: $21.90
Birchbox and IPSY were a bit similar this month because both gave me samples of brands I were already familiar with. I’ve tried a shaving cream from Whish and a body lotion from 100% Pure. What I liked about Birchbox, however, was that they gave me different beauty products from their brand so I could explore what other things these brands had to offer.
Although I was able to try more new and unfamiliar brands through Birchbox, I am going to have to say that IPSY is the winner this month. IPSY had more products that I would actually use and had a higher total value. I hope for next month, IPSY will mix it up in terms of the beauty companies they decide to pair with.
What did you guys get in your IPSY or Birchbox? Let me know in the comments!
* = affiliate links