I am currently a little behind on these monthly posts, but since neither of my February subscriptions have arrived, it’s not too late. Right?
Let’s jump right in with the IPSY bag.
1. Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask – Ever since I dyed my hair, I’ve been looking for products that will moisturize my hair and hair masks have been my savior. The sample was a good size and I was able to get three uses out of it. It was not as thick as I would have liked it to be and it had a mild coconut scent, which I was not a fan of. I did see a little difference in my hair after using this mask – it definitely hydrated it, but it did not tame the frizz when I air dried my hair. (Sample size: $4.95, Full size: $26)
2. Elizabeth Mott Smooth Shadow in Pearl – I was really excited to try this eye shadow pencil because it was a creamy pinky champagne shadow stick. I thought it would be a great base for shadow, but when I put it on, I realized that it was really glittery. It is not long-wearing; I had to wear a primer underneath to make it last. I don’t like that it has chunks of glitter, so I think if I were to use this, it would be on the inner corner to brighten up my eye. Also, this is not a twist up pencil, which I think is a little inconvenient. (Sample size: $7 , Full Size: $14.99)
3. Nourish Organic Lightweight Moisturizing Face Lotion – Right off the bat, this moisturizer had a really weird scent. I don’t really know how to describe it, but it kind of smelled like vitamins with a hint of rose. Once I got over the scent and put it on my face, I found that it was extremely lightweight and it sunk into my skin very quickly. I like how that all the ingredients that go into this face lotion are organic and it didn’t break me out. Once I got over the scent, I really enjoyed this moisturizer. (Sample size: $6.47 , Full size: $21.99)
4. Mica Tinted Lip Balm in Fiesta – This was the product I was most excited to try, but it was kind of a let down. The color I got was a mauve-y pink shade and although the color was really pretty and more pigmented than I had expected, it was definitely not a lip balm. It was a little drying and it almost had a matte finish after I had applied it. It does last pretty long for a tinted lip balm, but I just wish that it was more moisturizing. (Sample size: $18.75, Full Size: $30)
5. Proactive+ Mark Fading Pads – I was excited to try these because I do have some acne scars and as an added bonus, this line is promoted by Adam Levine. I mean, come on, if Adam Levine uses it, I’m definitely going to try it. The only problem was that I only received four sample packets, so I could not tell if they actually worked. The pads are treated with salicylic acid, which for me, isn’t as affective as benzoyl peroxide. The annoying part of the Proactive+ line is that you have to order the entire kit in order to get these pads – you can’t buy them separately. So I don’t think I will be purchasing these any time soon.
Total Value: $37.17
I’m not going to lie, I was a little disappointed by IPSY this month. Besides the Proactive + samples, all the sample sizes were great, but the products themselves just didn’t really perform. Now, let’s move onto Birchbox!
1. Nail Rock in Red Glitter – This nail glitter set comes with a red nail polish and a pot of glitter. The whole idea behind it is that you paint two coats of polish and then dip your nails into the glitter. After 15-20 minutes, the polish will dry and you will have glittery nails. I definitely like the concept, but the glitter didn’t dry after 30 minutes and it was extremely messy. After trying the whole process, my nails didn’t look great and there was glitter everywhere. I would much prefer to buy a polish that had glitter in it already. (Full size: $6.99)
2. Retrospect Hand & Nail Reconstructor – Oh Birchbox, when will you realize that foil packets are your doom! I received this product in two foil packets. This hand cream is very thick and does moisturize your hands, but it does not last. My hands were soft and moisturized for about 30 minutes and they started to become dry again. Also, it is extremely expensive, so I think there are better hand creams out there at a lower price point. (Sample size: I can’t even, Full size: $36)
3. Serge Normant Dry Conditioner – Finally! Something that is a good sample size! I was so excited to try this product because everyone and their moms have heard of dry shampoo, but I have rarely heard of dry conditioner. At this rate, we won’t even have to use water to wash our hair, just kidding…kind of. This is a hydrating mist that instantly adds softness and shine. I try to wash my hair every other day now that I have dyed it, so I will use dry shampoo in my roots and then spray this dry conditioner on the ends and it really does soften and smooth my hair. It’s definitely a luxury product, but I love it. (Sample size: $9.38 , Full size: $25)
4. Zenmed Support Serum – This was another good sized sample, but I gotta be honest and say, it did not feel like a serum. I’m used to my serums being a little more on the liquid size and this serum had a cream texture and it was a lot heavier than most of the serums I’ve tried. I only used it at night under my moisturizer because it felt too heavy for daytime. After two weeks of using this sample, I did notice that my face was brighter and more luminous. Because this has a thicker texture, it does last a lot longer and a little goes a long way. (Sample size: $4.94 , Full size: $29.95)
5. Under Armour Braided Mini Headband – This was probably the item that I was most excited to use because it’s a really cute headband. It is bright and it’s breaded. Each elastic headband has a grip underneath it, so once it’s on your head, its not budging. (Sample size: $9.99, Full size: 3 Pack, $19.99)
Total Value: $31.30
I’m not really impresses with either subscription this month, but if I had to pick a winner, it would be Birchbox. I don’t think that’s saying much. Both were unimpressive, but Birchbox had the Serge Normant product and the really cool headband, which makes it less unimpressive. I don’t really see myself buying anything from IPSY, but I will definitely buying the dry conditioner once I run out of the sample.
Did you guys enjoy your monthly subscriptions? Let me know!